With the lower temperatures that accompany January coupled with the newfound focus on fitness that arises following the holidays, warm, healthy recipes are essential to getting and staying on the right track.
Salad is always the go-to meal choice for novel fitness aficionados, but cold salad is hard to consume on a cold day. Try this grilled Caesar salad recipe as an alternate to the traditional chilly lunch and dinner of choice.
- Romaine Lettuce
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Caesar Vinaigrette Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (E.V.O.O.)
- First coat the surface of an indoor/outdoor grill with E.V.O.O. An alternative to grilling is using a frying pan on the stovetop.
- While the surface is warming, cut the romaine in half, keeping the core of the lettuce in place. The core will hold the lettuce together during cooking.
- Once the surface is warm, place the lettuce on the grill or in the pan center side down.
- Allow the lettuce to brown slightly on one side then remove it from the grill or pan.
- Drizzle the lettuce with your vinaigrette and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- For a complete meal, serve grilled chicken alongside the salad.
Caesar Vinaigrette Recipe (Optional, Can use store bought)
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 – 5 Anchovy Fillets, Drained
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 – 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¾ – 1 cup Olive Oil
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste (Careful. It’s already salty from the anchovy.)
- 1 tsp. Sugar, if needed
- Combine ingredients 1 – 5 using a food processor.
- Once ingredients are well combined, leave the processor running while adding the olive oil slowly.
- Add ingredients 7 – 9 as needed.
Fat: 14 grams
Carbs: 9 grams
Protein: 1.2 grams