Ah, can’t you smell it? That smell of chicken soup that brings you right back to being a child and visiting your grandmother’s house? Chicken soup is a staple in many homes and is just the right balance of hearty and healthy to be the perfect soup for chilly winter days, when someone starts coming down with a cold, or really any day for that matter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 3-pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, more for salting the chicken and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Place garlic, carrots, onion, and celery into the insert of your slow cooker.
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with sea salt, then add the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Add in the water, dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Set on low for 8 hours.
- Once done, discard the bay leaf and remove the chicken to shred. Discard the skin and bones.
- Place chicken back into the slow cooker. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.