With the cool breezes of fall in the air, and everything “pumpkin spice” returning to coffee shops and grocery stores, we thought it was the perfect time to try a healthy pumpkin spice cake recipe! It’s just the right amount of sweet cake, with whole wheat flour and low-fat icing to keep it healthy. Enjoy this delicious Pumpkin Spice Cake as a seasonal dessert, or even a breakfast! It goes perfectly with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. If you try this recipe out, let us know! We’d love to see pictures of your creations.
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 2/3 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
Cream Cheese Glaze:
1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ cake pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients
- Whisk dry ingredients thoroughly together and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir them together with a large spoon just until they are completely combined, then stop.
- Pour into cake pan and bake 45 – 50 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, honey, and cinnamon.
- Whip on high speed until thin.
- Drizzle on top of cake, sprinkle with pecans.