Baked goods and sweet desserts can feel too heavy in the June heat, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any sweet treats that are perfect for summer! Here are three recipes that we love when the weather gets warm. No oven required!
Berry Watermelon Granita
This dessert similar to Italian Ice will be right at home in your glass this summer!
- 6 cups watermelon (cubed)
- 1-cups of mixed blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries
- 3 limes (juiced)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Combine watermelon, lime juice and sugar in a blender
- Blend until pureed completely
- Strain the mix through a mesh sieve, pushing the mix through with the back of a spoon. Discard the pulp left in the sieve
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 glass casserole dish and cover it with plastic wrap. Put it into the freezer for 5 hours
- Once the mix is frozen solid, use a fork to scrape the mixture out in small ice chips. Serve in a glass and top with your favorite berries. To enjoy for several days, put the rest of the mix back in the freezer and enjoy later!
Build-Your-Own Yogurt Parfait
If your kids are having friends over this summer, make a Build-Your-Own Yogurt Parfait station for a cool, healthy mid-play snack that has endless combinations
- Vanilla Yogurt
- All your favorite berries
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped fruit like apples, pears, peaches and apricot
In clear cups, layer all the ingredients to taste, and enjoy! Simple as that.
Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Bites
Here’s a healthy take on ice cream sandwiches.
- 5 Bananas
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter, Nutella, or Almond Butter
- 2 ounces Nonfat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup Mini chocolate chips
Blend together 1 banana, tablespoon of peanut butter, nutella or almond butter, nonfat vanilla yogurt and ½ cup of Mini chocolate chips. Set aside
Slice up remaining bananas into ½ inch slices
Spoon mixture onto banana slices on a dish and top with another slice to make a sandwich.
Chill banana bites in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Enjoy!