When trying to lose weight or even maintain a healthy weight, knowing the calories you take in versus the calories you burn proves vital for your success.
So if you’re looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, exercises like jumping rope, swimming or aerobics will burn the most calories. But calculating the calories you actually burn during exercise depends on several factors unique to you as an individual such as gender, age and weight.
According to ChooseMyPlate.com, a man who is 5’ 10” and weighs 154 pounds will burn approximately 370 calories hiking for an hour. Someone who weighs more will burn more calories and someone who weighs less will burn less.
So while calculating the actual amount of calories you burn during exercise isn’t as simple as knowing how many calories are in an apple, there are some great tools out there to help make it easier!
- The Internet is Your Friend: I found several websites that will allow you to input your information and the how long you spent doing a particular exercise or activity, then they will do the calculating work for you!
- https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc – I liked the Health Status site because it allowed you to enter your gender, age, height, and weight whereas most other sites I found only had you enter your weight. This site also listed several activities that wouldn’t necessarily be categorized as exercise, but do also burn some calories—like playing the piano.
- http://www.choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity-calories-burn – If you don’t happen to be a 154-pound man who is 5’ 10”, you will have to go to SuperTraker’s Physical Activity Tracker link provided on this page. To calculate the calories you burn, you will have to sign up for a free account, but this might be helpful because it is a place you can keep track of your daily physical activity and calories burned.
- Let your Smartphone be Your Fitness Pal: Your phone goes with you wherever you go, so why not let it help you track your calories? There are several Apps out there that let you track how many calories you burn with your exercise—and an added bonus, most of them let you keep track of how many calories you eat as well.
- While there are many Apps out there, MyFitnessPal topped most lists as a helpful way to keep track of the calories you burn, and it’s available for both Android and Apple users. MyFitnessPal lets you log your calorie intake as well as your exercise to track how many calories you burn! The App also allows you to connect to fitness trackers like Fitbit. It has a simple interface and it’s free!
So now all you have to do is get active, and let one of these helpful tools do the math for you! Happy exercising!