Movember: The Importance Of Physical Exercise

Being active is important. You’ve heard this over and over again for probably your entire life. Have you ever stopped to wonder why everyone seems obsessed with you being active (even if they’re not active themselves)?

Adding activity back into your life is one of the best things you can do for your physical and mental wellbeing. Regular physical activity can control your weight and combat a number of health conditions, such as stroke, heart attacks, high blood pressure, and diabetes. But it also improves your mood, reduces fatigue and stress, promotes better sleep, and can improve your sex life. Exercise can also be a social outlet and building a sense of community is key to living longer and healthier.

Switching from sedentary to physically active can seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. You don’t have to find time to go to the gym every day to gain all of these crucial physical and mental benefits. You can take smaller steps to become more active.

  • Walk around your office a couple of times a day
  • Park further back in the parking lot
  • Get off the bus a couple of stops earlier and walk the rest of the way
  • Take the stairs
  • Follow online videos for low impact workouts in your home

If you’re struggling with being active, know that you’re not alone. Only one in three adults get the recommended amount of exercise each week. We get busy and things come up and we forget, but twenty minutes of exercise a day can change your life.

You can reduce your risk of diabetes and cancer by 50%. You can reduce your risk of early death by 30%. You lower your chances of heart disease by 20%. You’re less likely to experience a heart attack, obesity, and high blood pressure. Exercise will also improve your overall mental wellbeing.

Find what works for you to add physical exercise into your life, and make sure you talk with your doctor first before making any major changes to your life.