Hiking is the ultimate cardio power pack as it provides all the benefits of your cardiovascular routines and supercharges it.
- Build Strength in your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, and the muscles in your hips and lower legs that you may not be able to target in a traditional gym exercise.
- Improved cardio-respiratory fitness (heart, lungs, blood vessels)
- Strengthen core muscles.
- Boost bone density and slow bone density loss.
- Improve balance
- Help control your weight. Hiking burns up to 370 calories an hour for a 154 pound person.
- Lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower risk of high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Lower risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides
Physical and health benefits aside, hiking provides two (2) major psychological benefits:-
- Boost your mood. Research shows that hiking can make you happier because it has a positive impact on combating the symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression.
- Creativity and focus. Research also shows that spending time outdoors increases attention spans and creative problem-solving skills by as much as 50 percent.
In conclusion, let’s get out there to the Great outdoors!
Why WHO? WHO stands for Wellness Health Outdoors. There are several benefits which the PCS Nitrogen Trinidad Wellness Centre’s Hikers experienced in Rio Seco apart from the obvious breathtaking views, fresh air and the sounds and smells of nature: Members of the Centre engaged in a fun-filled hike to the scenic Rio Seco waterfalls nestled in the lush forested north-eastern coast of Trinidad.
For more information about hiking and other outdoor activities in your neck of the woods. please visit the PotashCorp Wellness activity page for contacts and providers near you. See you on the trail!
Submitted by: Alec Purcell, HR Officer, Trinidad